How to use your funds
About making disbursements
As a fund advisor, you have the authority to make payments for expenses in accordance with its charitable purpose. The following IRS regulations govern these disbursements.
To make a disbursement from your fund, we must receive a written request signed by those authorized in the fund agreement to request disbursements.
- Requests for reimbursements for a product or service must be submitted with a paid receipt.
- Requests for payment to a vendor must be accompanied by vendor invoices. Please instruct vendors to mail the invoice to you so that you can complete the required disbursement form. This will insure prompt payment. Payments to vendors made by Excellence are not subject to sales tax.
- As required by tax law, all payments to individuals or unincorporated organizations (sole proprietors, partnerships, or DBAs) must be accompanied by a signed Form W-9. If applicable, Excellence will issue a Form 1099 at year end. A $20 processing fee will be charged to the fund for each 1099.
Fundraisers are an important way for you to raise the assets of your fund and increase its power to do good things. If you are planning a fundraiser, inform Excellence at least 60 days in advance. We want to help you get the most out of these events and help you follow important state, local and IRS regulations.
- Your fund must provide written proof of insurance liability coverage listing Excellence as an additional insured.
- No leases or contracts may be established without the approval of the Foundation.
- Check with your municipality if you are planning a walk, run or bike ride.
- Check for state or local regulations regarding gaming, sales tax permits or one-day liquor licenses.
- Provide a fair market value for auction or raffle items.
We can help you spread the word about your event through our enewsletter, Facebook, Twitter and online press room. Please email event details to Jessica van Diepen at Jessica@mentalhealthexcellence.org.
Because Excellence carries the 501c3 nonprofit status for your fund, it is important that the Foundation’s name is associated with your fund. When using your fund’s name in press or promotional materials, use this language: [name of your fund], a fund of the Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care.
About publicizing your fund
We are happy to help you publicize your fund when you are fundraising or at any time. Your success is our success!
- Be sure to acknowledge your association with Excellence in all press releases, websites, social media, e-communications, event invitations and printed materials, including a website link whenever possible.
- An appropriate logo and boilerplate text is available. These are for use in press releases, flyers, posters, event programs and other promotional materials. Contact Jessica van Diepen at Jessica@mentalhealthexcellence.org for artwork and language.
- If your fund or event has its own website, we can help you link to the website donation page at Excellence. We are also happy to link to your fund’s website.
About support as a fiscal agent
We can act as your fiscal agent for fundraising. Call Gina Nikkel to discuss fiscal agency arrangements or email Gina@mentalhealthexcellence.org.
About accepting donations to your fund
We will gladly help you with any donations made to your fund. We can help you link to our donation page, process checks or other payments, manage pledges and provide acknowledgements. Please call Gina Nikkel about these and similar arrangements, 503.930.0349